Monday, March 10, 2014

Install Porch Swing Under Covered Porch



Hello,
I have been stumped on install a 5ft porch wing under the covered porch that has a vinyl ceiling soffit system.
Naturally I know you are supposed to attach the fasteners to the structural wood beams above the soffit (which then has to be taken off).
My question to do with how the negotiate the 6-8 gap between the wooden beam and the soffit in terms of what specific (connecting) hardware to use and also seal off/cover the hole that I will need to cut in the soffit so that little critters cannot just go and nest under the porch.
Many thanks in advance. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Someone has been after me to get this done for a year now and I am still trying to puzzle it out,
Richard

I can't picture any good way of doing it. Have you considered a free standing porch swing ?

oh dear... that's not good news... but thanks for responding.
There is already a tree hammock out in the backyard but the idea is to have a porch swing that is a bit sheltered from the elements so a freestanding one does not really appeal.
I was thinking that this must be a recurring problem and am a little surprised that I can't find a previous thread of webpage about this. From your response I am beginning to fear for the worst.

Check to be sure how the ceiling is installed. It should be fastened directly to the porch ceiling joists. If so, then simply attach your chain hooks to the ceiling joist by drilling through the vinyl first.

Thanks... I saw the ceiling before the contractor put the soffit in and there are regular ceiling joists. The specific problem I face is that there is a drop of 6-8 inches between the joists and the soffit.
Let me try a little schematic to illustrate my two questions:
Wood ceiling joists
****************
^
|
| 6=8 *Question 1: bridge this
|
V Vinyl soffit
= = = = = = = = *Question 2= limit/cover the opening in the soffit
@ ring shaped attachment point for chain
8 chain for porch swing
8
8
8
I am not sure that simply drilling holes through the soffit would be the solution unless there is specific hardware that I can use to drop some attachment points to below the soffit - other the swinging chain would just rip the drilled holes apart unless the holes are made very large. And if I made very hard holes in the soffit I fear that this may let critter go into the ceiling and nest there....

You can remove the soffit from the ceiling, one piece at a time over the area you want to install your swing. Locate your ideal joist and sandwich it with two 2x10's and one 2x6 between, making a beam that is 4 1/2 wide and the ideal height to bring the wood down to the level of the soffit. Bolt the 2x10's to the original joisting and 2x6, drill your hole for your hooks in this new beam. Look at your situation and see if this will be feasible.

Thanks. That just might work. Would be a a little bit unsightly to have this drop-down beam but it probably can't be helped.
[Or do you mean for the soffit to be reinstalled over this strengthened beam and holes to be drilled through the soffit to the beam?]
Just to be safe I guess I should use pressure treated 2X10' and 2X6' if the new beam is exposed to the elements?
Will take this idea to the boss and see what she thinks.
Meanwhile, please keep other ideas coming....

I read Chandlers suggestion to mean that the new supporting beam would be flush with the upper face of the soffit. This way you can reinstall the soffit, it will cover the beam, then you can drill through the vinyl and and hang your swing with no unsightly holes or beams exposed. Yoiu might even be able to locate some nice white vinyl grommets that could inssserted into the holes for that professionally finished look

Thanks for the clarification.
This sounds like the ideal solution then.
Best, Richard

Sorry, I let the post slip. Thanks Rockpro for a good catch. The soffit can be reinstalled and the beam will be unseen. Good luck with the project!






Tags: install, porch, swing, under, covered, ceiling joists, porch swing, made very, soffit reinstalled, that this, through soffit, through vinyl, your swing