Monday, March 10, 2014

Carrier Performance 96 Vs Infinity Series



I'm looking to replace my residential gas furnace with a Carrier Performance 96 58UVB. It sounds like the Performance 96 is relatively new since I haven't found a whole lot of information on this model. The Performance 96 is a 2-stage with a variable speed blower. I've read a lot of good things about the Infinity series but I'd rather not spend the extra cash (roughly $700 more) for the Infiinity.
Was the Performance 96 fabricated for the 95% AFUE rating for stimulus credit reasons? Does anyone have any pros/cons regarding the Carrier Performance 96? I haven't read anything negative and the estimate I was given for the Performance 96 seems fair compared to similar Lennox and Trane gas furnaces. Thanks.

From what I see, you lose a few things.
-Media Air filter cabinet
-Quieter system.
This seems to be the old style infinity system since they now are 3 stage heat.
Make sure you are getting a matching two stage stat on this.
What model Trane or Lennox were you getting bids on?

The Carrier Performance 96 is significantly lower of the furnaces listed below, except for the Airo-Flo which is about $100 less. Given the 2-stage variable speed of the Carrier Performnace it seems like a good candidate....unless there is something I'm missing. I currently have a programmable thermostat but I'm assuming that it may not maximize the efficiency offered by a 2-stage furnace.
Other options:
Trane XR95 (95%, single stage)
Trane XV95 (96.7%, 2 stage, variable speed)
Lennox G61MPV-36B-071 (95% AFUE, 2 stage, variable speed)
Aire-Flo CG95TB060D12B (95%, single stage, 1 speed)

I'd then say go for it if it's cheaper. Make sure the dealer is doing the Manual-J (load calc) on your home. A good two stage stat for your furnace would be the Honeywell FocusPro, or VisionPro.

I received a written furnace proposal that included a stat. It was a TH6110 Honeywell. I'm assuming this is a compatible 2-stage stat that would work well with the Carrier Performance 96??? I currently have a Honeywell T8112D1005 but I don't know if the TH6110 is necessarily an improvement.
I'm also considering getting a humidifier for an additional $300. I need to follow-up on this since I don't know how the humidifer is set. I know some are just manually adjusted, but aren't many connected with thermostats and/or outside sensors?
--- As I write this I'm thinking it's not really needed. Our humidity level is around 25% in winter but it isn't uncomfortable (no shocks etc).
Any info about the stats if appreciated.

Originally Posted by kidbat
I received a written furnace proposal that included a stat. It was a TH6110 Honeywell. I'm assuming this is a compatible 2-stage stat that would work well with the Carrier Performance 96??? I currently have a Honeywell T8112D1005 but I don't know if the TH6110 is necessarily an improvement.
Both stats you have listed here are single stage stat. I'd strongly suggest getting a two stage sat to get the best comfort of the two stage furnace.. The correct two stage is TH6320, or T8321. Don't fall for the dealer saying Timer on the furnace works just as good... It does NOT.
I'm also considering getting a humidifier for an additional $300. I need to follow-up on this since I don't know how the humidifer is set. I know some are just manually adjusted, but aren't many connected with thermostats and/or outside sensors?
There are manual controls, and auto controls. I like the auto control, it will set the level that is correct with the out door temps.
--- As I write this I'm thinking it's not really needed. Our humidity level is around 25% in winter but it isn't uncomfortable (no shocks etc).
Your gauge must be off you are not getting shocks at that range! Getting that low is dry.

Thanks for all the good information. Yeah, humidity gauge maybe off. I'll check it out.

Anyone has experience w/ difference in noise level between Infinity 3 stage and Performance 2 stage? Performance does not come with the noise control technology.
Thanks






Tags: carrier, performance, infinity, series, Carrier Performance, variable speed, currently have, single stage, stage stat, with Carrier, with Carrier Performance, 2-stage stat