Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ademco 5808lst Chirp/Ticking Normal



Just received a Ademco 5808LST detector. Put batteries in (supposevly new) and the thing makes a quiet chirp/tick noise every 10 seconds. The red light will flash with the chirp about every minute.
The chirp is pretty faint, but I can hear it if I am holding the unit. I have not enrolled it into my system yet because I don't know if this is normal.
I haven't tried NEW batteries yet because they are quiet expensive, but the seller said they are brand new.
Is this faint chirp and 1 minute flash normal?

Too add:
I just replaced batteries ($16). Still making an annoying chirp sound every ten seconds.
I also enrolled it into my system, no error messages or anything...
BAH! Now I get a COMM.FAILURE on keypad. Central station says they received my fire test signals though.
This failure happened sometime after I reconnected transformer power (to reset fire trouble).

If it is very faint it may be the relay or circuit that powers the LED light. If the light is flashing around every 90 -120 seconds then it is good. I have the same smoke and never noticed a noise, but it is on a ceiling.

From the install instructions:
The detector checks for low batteries at least every 60 minutes. If a low battery is detected, the transmitter sends a low battery message to the control panel, which beeps and displays the detector's ID. This condition will exist for a minimum of seven days, and then the detector's horm will chirp about every 40 seconds. The batteries should be replaced BEFORE the chirps begin. BE SURE TO REPLACE BOTH BATTERIES WITH FRESH ONES.
I know you replaced the batteries, but it can't hurt to check them. These lithium batteries have a tendency to not get proper stock rotation. I've gotten duds out of a brand new pack more than once in the past.
The comm failure may have been because you interrupted the system dialer by powering down (assuming that all other programming associated with the new device was correct).

I think I figured it out.
I removed the shell of the detector and noticed that there were two pairs of what looks like heat resistors. They were twisted up and mating against these little pegs that go around the outside of the screen. I straighted them back up so they are not grounding out, and the chirping stopped. One of the pegs is loose so I don't trust it anymore and returning the detector for another one.
Programming was easy, I justed went into the *56 field, assigned it to zone 18 and set zone type as 9, then pressed test on detector to enroll it. That all worked fine.
The COMM. FAILURE is no longer on the keypad. When it was, I tripped he alarm and the panel dialed out correctly reporting the faulted zone. Hopefully it doesn't come back up.....
Tags: ademco, 5808lst, chirp, normal, every seconds, about every, chirp about, chirp about every, COMM FAILURE, enrolled into, enrolled into system