Monday, March 10, 2014

Ademco 5881 And 5882 Receivers



I wish it weren't so, but I'm back again! I just added a 5817 3 loop transmitter to my Vista 20P system and now I'm getting a Busy - Standby E8 error. I found that this means I have a medium capacity receiver that maxes out at 16 zones. Sure enough, adding the 5817's 3 zones took me to 18 total. I can clear the error by unenrolling 2 zones, but that's not what I want to do long term.
My question is about receivers (I currently have a 5882-3ENM receiver).
1) Do I have to replace the 5882-3ENM with a 5882-3ENH to add capacity, or can multiple medium capacity receivers be added to a system? If adding receivers is possible, is it better to add more or replace with the higher capacity receiver?
2) What is required to add these? I see a 5 wire connector plugging my current -3EMN into the Vista. Would replacing it with the -3ENM be as simple as unplugging the old and plugging in the new (and of course, mounting it in the case). The question here is both about wiring and if there is any need to enroll or program anything, or if the system just knows it has the higher capacity receiver.
3) I'm not sure I understand the differences between the 5881 and the 5882. They appear to be the same thing, but the 5882 says something about Canada. I live in the US, but have a 5882 in my system. The 5881's I've seen on the internet come in a white box that encloses the ciruit card. My 5882 is a bare board mounted inside my Vista cabinet connected by one connector, and receives its power from the Vista. Does the white box contain the same thing, and does it still connect via a connector and draw power from the Vista? I see several of these for sale, but I want to make sure I buy the right one.
I have the 2 line display keypad, and appear to be moderately successful in programming. I just need to know expand receiver capacity to allow more zones.
Thanks again for all your support!
Steve

AFAIK: the V20 can only have one receiver, the 5882 is the basically the same as the 5881 but made for Canadian market, changing receivers is only a matter of replacing the unit and rewiring [should be just four wires red, black, green and yellow]- might need to address it, the white box is just the enclosure - it is often cleaner to remove it and install it in the can.
I can only think of two ways to increase your capacity w/o buying the higher receiver: the first involves using your hard-wired zones 1 thru 8 - you can run wires and connect devices that way or if you have two sensors on one opening [top and bottom sections of a double-hung window, both doors of double doors, etc] then you can wire sensors in series and combine two into one [or use a 5817].

Thank you for your help! It sounds like the cleanest solution is to buy a receiver with larger capacity. So I just found/bought a used 5882-3ENH online and will wire it in when it gets here. One more question - in your reply you said might need to address it - not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds like programming? I did confirm that there are 4 wires as you said - mine has 5 wires coming from a connector, but the blue wire is not connected to anything.
Steve

No programming, dip switches. The factory default (00) is the correct address for a Vista 20p, but since you are buying used, just double check the switches.
Ignore the blue wire. It's a leftover from a planned feature that was never really put into production.

Thanks! Sounds like it should be easy. I'll install it as soon as it arrives.
I appreciate all your help!
Steve






Tags: 5881, 5882, receivers, capacity receiver, 5881 5882, blue wire, from Vista, higher capacity, higher capacity receiver, medium capacity, might need, might need address